Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Eliza!

Today our baby girl turns 4 years old! She's VERY excited about turning 4, and is pretty sure she is taller today. Eliza has been such a joy, and a challenge, since God blessed us with her 4 years ago. She's thrown more temper tantrums than I can count, but I keep thinking that God has given her this strong will to use in an amazing way one day. For now, we just pray that He will give us the wisdom to guide her as she learns to find her way, as I'm pretty sure she is smarter than both her parents. But however difficult she may be sometimes, she just as often crawls up into my lap with an "I love you, Mommy" or "Can we just cuddle and rock-rock?" that just melts my heart.

She's her mama's girl, who loves to do crafts and color, and right now would rather sit at the kitchen table doing workbook pages and practicing writing her letters than playing with toys (I'm sure one day she'll be like me, who couldn't wait for school to start in the fall so I could have some homework to do). She also has her daddy's goofy side, and loves to make us laugh. She soaks in everything she can, and I love to watch her learn and discover new things. I love to watch her when she doesn't know I'm there, as she colors and sings her own made-up songs. My heart is just so full when I think of all the ways she has brought joy in to our lives, and I'm not eloquent enough to put it all into words. Just know that we love you, Lizey-Lou, and we are so grateful that our heavenly Father has given you to us!

This is classic Eliza: last night she came creeping down the stairs about 9:30, as she had taken a nap earlier and wasn't sleepy. She cuddled up with me on the couch and this was our conversation:

Me: "Eliza, did you know that 4 years ago tonight, Mommy's belly was THIS big because you were inside getting ready to come out?" I should have know what was coming next.
Eliza: "But Mommy, how did I come out?"
Me: I briefly explained in as few words as possible.
Eliza: (Cutting her eyes and looking at me as if to say "Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis?") "Are you kidding me?"
Me: "That's right, sweetie. See, God made our bodies very special--"
Eliza: "Sshhh, Mommy. The show is back on."

Whew. Saved by "I survived a Japanese Game Show".

Here is a little slide show of our little princess, who entered the world looking more like a sumo wrestler.

No comments: