Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vintage Children's Books

I've said in a former post that I love vintage children's sewing patterns, mainly for the illustrations, and that same love applies to vintage children's books. HUGE thanks to Stephen's parents, who saved several of his books from when he was a child and gave them to us a while back. What a treasure---not just for the books themselves but for the nuggets of fun Stephen left inside some of them (see pictures below). Eliza loves them, as she loves all books, and I love to read them to her. I'm going to really try to be good about taking care of her favorite books now and saving them for her kids. Whoa, what an incredible thought---Eliza having her own kids!!!

Here are a few of my favorites for the illustrations:

I think this Cinderella confused Eliza a little bit because she's not the Disney version she's used to. But adorable still!

This was one of my FAVES when I was a little girl. I remember my dad reading it to me!


This cracks me up. Inside this Uncle Wiggily book we found this little gem. (Amy is Stephen's older sister). I'm guess he came along after Amy had written her name in the books and claimed them as his own??


Don't you remember the Sweet Pickles riding around in their van?? Another one Stephen staked his claim on.

4 comments:

Staci said...

Too funny - my parents have our books too and I did just what Stephen did - must be the 2nd/youngest child thing!

Bran said...

I love that my mom kept all our old books too! When we were in Mississippi last week my dad (Jack's Papa Cliff) read Jack Black Beauty. It was my dad's book when he was a little boy. Talk about vintage books...it was so sweet and special!

Anonymous said...

I love vintage books, too. Monster at the End of the Book was one of my favs, too. And now MC loves it, as well. Unfortunately, all of the stuff my mom saved of mine...hand made dresses, books, toys, etc...were ruined in our storage room when I was in high school. We had a leak and everything was ruined in that room...now we keep things in plastic storage bins.

Thank you so much for offering to let me borrow the sling. I would love too. Plus, if it's something the baby isn't loving then I haven't spent the money on it, and if the baby does love it and it looks like I'm going to use it for a while, I can feel better about buying one of my own.

Jessie Weaver said...

Monster at the End of the Book was one of Adam's favorites too. Along with "Cookie Monster and the Cookie Tree." The vintage books are beautiful. I have two of my Weekly Reader books for Baby Weaver--"Max the Bad-Talking Parrot" and "Piggy in the Puddle." :) With my own crayon illustrations included from when I was 5.