Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Eliza's new look

Well, I guess when you have two vision-impaired parents, it's inevitable that you will need glasses as some point. We just didn't think Eliza would be getting them this early. But at her 4 year check-up, the vision screening they did showed her eyes were not quite up to snuff, so we took her to the eye doctor and turns out she has astigmatisms in both eyes, just like Stephen and me. So we picked out these two pairs and she is THRILLED. And yes, they are pink. And purple. What else for a 4-year-old little girl? You'd think it was Christmas or something, she was so excited about getting them. I'm very thankful for that. As strong-willed as she is, that was battle I did NOT want to fight.

Here is Eliza and her sweet friend Eden from school. They love matching!
And of course Davis wanted to be in on the action. He borrowed these from Mr. Potato Head.
More excitement ensued for Eliza when I made these below last week. My little mini-me loves her some charts and graphs. And structure in her day. I made these in Excel and got all but a couple of the clip art pieces from within Microsoft office. I laminated them and put them on the fridge, so she makes a smiley face with a dry-erase marker each time she completes a job. When that chart is full, she gets to go pick out a small goodie. The schedule is also great for both of us. I guess it's from my days teaching high school when my day was broken into nice 1-hour increments, but I like having that idea for us at home, too. Otherwise, I am guilty of leaving the TV on too long, or just being lazy for most of the day. And this way, Eliza can watch the clock to see when snack time is, instead of asking for food ALL day long; she usually just wants snacks out of boredom anyway. Of course we don't stick to this religiously every day, but it does give us some direction. And she consults the schedule at least 5 times a day to see what's next; even though she can't read most of the words yet, the pictures give her clues. Does anyone else use anything like this? I'd love to hear any tips!

2 comments:

Johnson Fam said...

I think you need to start selling these as well. I'll be the first to buy one!

Anonymous said...

When Mary sees Eliza in these, I'm sure she is going to want glasses too. She looks quite proud and cute! APB