Friday, May 23, 2008

Craft Obsession #2: Digital Scrapbooking

I started scrapbooking 6 or 7 years ago, and have always enjoyed the process of preserving memories while also being crafty. I love the stickers, the papers, the tools, the embellishments. But I hated the mess. Every time I wanted to scrapbook something, I'd have to get out my card table and my huge suitcase full of stuff and spread it all out; then there would be paper and picture scraps everywhere, and just a big huge mess. I got to the point where I just wanted to throw it all out the window because the mess wore me out. But then about a year ago I discovered digital scrapbooking, and it has changed my crafty life. I use the Lumapix Fotofusion software which was cheap and is very user-friendly; there are lots of different kinds out there and Photoshop is probably the most popular, but I felt like I had some kind of learning disability when I tried to use it on a free trial--- I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do anything on it even after watching several tutorials. But the Lumapix is just right for me. Here are some things I love about scrapbooking digitally:

1.) All the FREE stuff out there on the web. You can find literally thousands of papers, stickers, embellishments, and fonts that you can download for free, and since they are digital, you can use them an unlimited number of times, unlike traditional paper that can only be used once. And the stuff you buy is really cheap too.

2.) Since it's on the computer, I can sit and work for 5 minutes if I have an extra few minutes, then go do something else, without creating any mess. Hurray!

3.) I can change things about my pages any time---nothing is permanent until I have it printed. I usually wait until printing sites have $.99 printing specials and get several 12x12 pages printed at a time.

4.) I can edit the size of my photos in any way, like cropping, zooming, etc. as I'm working to make it fit into the page design; I'm not limited to it's size like regular print.
So anyway, here are a few pages I like:




I've also delved into designing stationery and photo cards with my software too. Here is the invitation I made for Davis's family b-day party in Dyersburg (I just emailed it out---so easy!)
And here's a birth announcement I did for my friend Hanna.


So fun!!!!

No comments: